Coronavirus has reached Europe: France confirms three cases

World Sergey Matyunin 25-Jan-2020
China Virus
ID 169970012 © Delstudio | Dreamstime.com

France has confirmed three cases of the new coronavirus from China. This marks the beginning  of the deadly virus spreading to Europe.

In the Friday night’s news conference, France’s Health Minister Agnès Buzyn announced that two people had been tested positive for the novel coronavirus, one each in Bordeaux and Paris.

Later, a relative of the infected person in Paris was also tested positive.

The French Health Ministry confirms that all three patients have been kept in isolation in hospitals. The patients had travelled to China recently.

Health minister Agnes Buzyn said France has developed a test doctors can use to quickly diagnose patients and this was one reason why it was the first European nation to confirm cases.

Ms Buzyn predicted there would probably be more positive tests in her country.

The virus originated in China’s Wuhan city has now spread across 29 provinces in the country. Over 10 cases were reported in Japan, South Korea, Thailand, the U.S., Singapore, France and Vietnam.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the outbreak an emergency but said it was “too early” to consider it a “public health emergency of international concern” given “its restrictive and binary nature”.

WHO chief Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said: “Make no mistake, though, this is an emergency in China.

“But it has not yet become a global health emergency. It may yet become one.”