How to Perform Umrah? A Quick Guide
The word Umrah means to visit or meet. In the language of Islam, visiting the Holy Kaaba at any time other than during the Hajj is called Umrah. The infinite mercy of Almighty Allah that He has given us the opportunity to perform Umrah at any time of the year. Hajj can be performed only in the month of Dhul hijjah. But Umrah can be performed at any time. Especially in the holy month of Ramadan, there is a special virtue of performing Umrah. Many perform Umrah before performing Hajj. After that one performs Hajj in the same Ihram.
Every year, Muslims from all over the world travel to the holy city of Mecca. Their purpose is to gain the pleasure of Allah by performing Umrah. Narrated from Abu Hurairah (R), The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The expiation for the sins of everything between one Umrah and another. And the reward for Hajj is Jannat” (Bukhari, Muslim).
In another hadith, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “Perform Hajj and Umrah again and again, because it removes both poverty and sin in the same way that a carpenter blows away the dirt of iron.” (Nasa’i)
However, there are several rules for performing Umrah. All these rules must be followed. Without these, the possibility of Umrah not being accepted may remain. But sadly, many of us do not know these rules properly. So, the purpose of our blog today is to discuss the essential rules of performing Umrah.
The Obligatory and Wajib of Umrah
Obligations of Umrah are among the necessary conditions. These are:
Two duties: (a) Wearing Ihram (b) Circumambulation of the Holy Kaaba
Two Wajibs: (a) Moves even times in the place (green light) between Safa and Marwa(B) Shaving or trimming the hair of the head.
We will now briefly explain these rules.
(A) Wearing Ihram
The word Ihram literally means haram or forbidden. In the language of Islam, Ihram means wearing certain clothes and entering for the purpose of performing Hajj or Umrah with intention and talbiyah, accepting that even seemingly halal acts are forbidden. Men will enter Ihram by wearing two white sheets prepared for Ihram and women by wearing their normal clothes.
There are a number of must doing work before Ihram. These are:
1. All kinds of physical cleanliness must be achieved before Ihram. Such as cutting the nails of the hands and feet, cleaning the hair under the mustache, hair and navel etc.
2. It is Sunnah to take a bath before Ihram.
3. After that, men should enter Ihram by wearing seamless clothes and women should wear any suitable clothes.
3. Then one should perform ablution and perform 2 rak’at of nafl prayer.
4. The intention of Umrah should be done on or before Miqat.
5. After that you have to read Talbiyah-
“LabbaykAllahummaLabbayk; Labbayk, La-Sharika-LakaLabbayk, InnalHamda Wan Ni’mataLakaWal-Mulk, La Sharikalak.”
“I am present, O Allah! I’m present! I am here to answer your call. You have no partners. Undoubtedly all praise and wealth is yours and absolute dominion is yours. You have no partners.”
Men should recite this Talbiyah in a loud voice and women in low voice.
Prohibited acts after entering Ihram
There are some things that are forbidden after Ihram. Apparently many halal activities will also be banned. These are:
1) Use any sewn cloth or shoes, in this case sponge sandals should be used.
(2) Cover the head and face (by any cloth including the cloth of Ihram).
(3) Wearing shoes that cover the back of the foot.
(4) Cutting or tearing.
(5) Nail cut.
(6) Applying scented oil or perfume.
(6) To have intercourse with the wife.
(6) Any sexual arousal or speech.
(9) To hunt.
(10) Any kind of quarrel or fight.
(11) Applying soap on the body.
(12) To kill any animal including lice, beetles, mosquitoes and flies.
(14) Committing any kind of sin.
(B) Circumambulation of the Holy Kaaba
The word Tawaf literally means to visit or circumambulate. In the language of Islam, following certain rules, wearing certain clothes and going around the Kaaba to attain the pleasure of Allah is called Tawaf.
There are some rules to follow before performing Tawaf. These are:
1. Intention to circumambulate.
2. To circumambulate the holy Kaaba seven times.
3. Attain purity (to perform ablution / bath).
4. To cover the Satar.
5. Circumambulation with the Kaaba to the left.
6. To circumambulate outside of Hatim.
7. Perform two rak’at of prayer at the end of Tawaf.
8. To start every round of Tawaf from Hajar Al-Aswad.
9. Kissing, touching or gesturing with the hands of Hazar Al-Aswad.
10. Touching the Yemeni corner at every turn, if not possible, pointing and reciting Dua.
Rules of Tawaf
If it is not possible to kiss the Hajar Al-Aswad, one should start Tawaf by gesturing and saying ‘BismillahiAllahu Akbar’. In Yemeni corner, from Yemeni to Hajar Al-Aswad, one has to recite the verse 2:201 of Al Quran.
Thus seven rounds have to be completed in the same manner. Thus the Tawaf is completed.
After completing the Tawaf, the right shoulder should be covered. Then two rak’at of prayer should be performed behind Makame Ibrahim. It is at this point you have to drink the water from Zamzam. The Zamzam water should be drunk while standing.
Wajibs of Umrah
I have already said that Umrah has two wajibs – Sha’i and shaving one’s head.
Wajib – 1:Sha’i
What Sha’i means is a quick walk between the holy Safa and the Marwa hills. When Hazrat Hajera, the wife of Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) and mother of Hazrat Ismail (AS) was looking for water for her infant son, she used to come and go between Safa and Marwa mountains 7 times. The Almighty Allah loves this walk so much that He instructs it to be performed as a part of Hajj and Umrah.
This is one of the places where supplication is accepted. The men have to walk fast between the two green lights (not applicable to women) as soon as they go down the Safa hill towards Marwa. There is no specific supplication for Sha’i. Arriving at Marwa hill, supplication and tasbeeh should be recited in the same way as tasbeeh was recited at Safa hill. Then, after coming down from Marwa and reaching Safa again, you have to walk fast between the two green lights. Thus the walk number seven Sha’I will end at Marwa hill.
Wajib – 2: Shaving the head or shaving the hair
This duty has to be performed as the last step of Umrah. At the end of the day, men will shave their heads or cut their hair short. Women should cut half a finger from the tip of their hair. Through this work, Umrah will be completed with all the obligations and duties of Umrah. After that you can wear normal clothes and go back to normal life.
I hope you have got all the information and ideas about Umrah through this blog. May Almighty Allah grant us all the grace to perform Umrah in the right way, Ameen