Islamic ethics and its scope in information technology
The use of information technology has raised many moral and ethical issues for today’s IT professionals. Especially the Islamic ethics often gets hampered by it. Evolution happens, be it biologically or technologically. Every day, our life is changing bit by bit. In this world, every day new technologies are being created and we slowly incorporate them into our lives. We are including information technology in every aspect of our lives.
Problems of our technology
It is not so easy for some people to understand how much this information technology is changing our society and lifestyles. It might perform many ordinary simple days to day tasks, at the same time it also takes care of various critical tasks. From shopping to medical treatments; we are dependent on information technology in every aspect. Unethical problems related to privacy, security, and distribution of pornography, violence, intellectual property theft are also surfacing vehemently.
The Islamic concept of ethics is a simple but firm philosophy. The religion clearly mentions that our mighty Allah is everything for us. He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. He has established a comprehensive and major ethical system for us. It is narrated in the Holy Quran. We must comply with it. Why would information technology be excluded from it?
Islamic Ethics and morality:
Islamic morality preaches about justice and equality. It says,
1. Ethics and morality is universal regardless of culture, race, religion or nationality.
2. All human beings are equal. No favoritism is allowed in Allah’s abode. No one is closer to our almighty without any good work and intention.
3. There is no discrimination in Islamic ethics. No one is good or bad, privileged, or underprivileged. No one has greater power due to his or her ethnicity or money. The ethical system is just and fair.
4. A person’s conduct is considered ethical if he has a good motive or Niyah Hashanah. If the conduct is according to Shariah norms. For example, defending your family is ethical even if you die during the process.
Islamic ethics and Information technology:
Everything is within Allah’s abode, even the advancement of technology. Therefore, Islamic ethics should be a part of information technology and the people who handle it.
Some simple steps can ensure that,
1. Apply Islamic ethics to your organization:
If your organization caters to Muslims along with other people, you must apply Islamic ethics to it. In this way, your employees will be aware of our pious ethical value system. They will respect the Muslim clients along with other clients.
2. Motivate your employees to learn Islamic ethics:
Explain the benefits of using it in your regular job. Explain how it brings peace of mind and soul. In a way, we are all aware that western ethics are actually harming us. You can always give recent examples of the data breach and how harmed 98 million Muslim people. Explain to them how Allah rewards us. These will definitely yield results.
3. Enforce the organization rule:
You must enforce the rule that all employees must apply Islamic ethics in their day to day tasks and while dealing with clients. It will help to maintain good attitudes and behavior between employees and clients.
4. Give rewards:
You must also practice ethics with your other staff and you must make a provision of rewarding for them if they practice it while working for your company. The staff will be motivated and appreciated by it.
Advancement of technology along with the unique Islamic ethical the system can actually help us to create a sustainable digital world we are looking for.