Turkey earthquake: Final missing body is found, bringing death toll to 41

World Faizah Kamal 28-Jan-2020
Earthquake in Turkey
ID 21717590 © Conceptw | Dreamstime.com

Turkey called off rescue operations on January 27 in the eastern areas of the country that were hit by January 24’s earthquakes, after emergency workers recovered the body of a final person they were searching for under a collapsed building, bringing the death toll to 41, authorities said.

The 6.8 magnitude earthquake caused 37 deaths in the Elazığ province, about 550 km (340 miles) east of Ankara, and four in neighbouring Malatya.

Some 1,607 people were injured, while 45 people had been pulled from the rubble, the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) said on January 28.

AFAD said that rescue efforts – which included the contribution of over 5,000 personnel, 636 vehicles and 22 sniffer dogs – have ended in the region. An additional 800 people from non-governmental organisations also helped with the rescue efforts.

Out of the 1,607 injured, 1,523 have been discharged from hospital, according to AFAD. Some 16 people out of the injured remain in intensive care, while the other 84 continue to receive medical treatment.

During a press conference with ministers on January 28, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said the people discharged from hospital continue to receive treatment in their homes.

According to the data AFAD provided, some 1,190 aftershocks were felt and 22 more quakes, with magnitudes of over 4, jolted the region.

Authorities have warned residents not to enter damaged buildings because of the risk of collapse and further aftershocks, leaving many without homes in a region where temperatures hit minus 6 degrees celsius on the morning of January 27.