Turkey’s Foreign Ministry warns against travel to China amid coronavirus outbreak
Amid the coronavirus outbreak, Turkey’s Foreign Ministry made a statement on January 27 in which it urged the country’s citizens not to travel to China unless it is necessary.
“It is highly recommended that our citizens do not travel to China unless it is necessary and if they travel there, they should stay away from the regions where the [coronavirus] cases are seen, especially in Hubei province,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
With pneumonia-like symptoms, the coronavirus in the Chinese province of Hubei has become a nationwide threat to public health, with the number of cases rising, it ministry added.
It said that Turkish citizens who live in China and need to travel to other parts of the country should follow health precautions. The ministry added that the citizens should follow “closely” the statements and warnings of Turkey’s Embassy in Beijing, consulates in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and China, and the World Health Organisation.
U.S. health authorities also said on January 27 that they are investigating 110 possible cases of the novel coronavirus across 26 states, but reported that no new cases have been positively identified as the Trump administration urged Americans to reconsider all travel to China.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that the total includes the five patients who have been tested possible for the disease, and 32 patients who have so far tested negative. Results for the remaining 73 patients remain pending, the agency said on its website.
The five confirmed cases include two patients in California, and one each in Washington state, Illinois, and Arizona. All of the patients had recently returned from China.